Your next role is waiting for you
CTS pay competitive salaries and provide generous benefits
£23,490k to £24,990k pa
Full time 40 hours per week
Silchester, Nr. Reading and surrounding area
CTS is a logistics specialist moving Dangerous, Delicate, Difficult goods by road, sea and air for government, healthcare, defence and civil nuclear clients. We are globally recognised in the delivery of hazardous goods, sensitive shipments and high value items.
We are currently recruiting for Distribution Operatives to join our team, to support us in growing our global business and in delivering the highest standards in freight forwarding services to our customers.
The focus for our Distribution Operatives will be to work in a hybrid role and provide an AM delivery coordination service on site in support of the AWE logistics operation and in the afternoon either Warehouse, Driving or Site Operative duties under the direction of the Senior Operations Manager.
We are an equal opportunities employer and our aim is to hire great people from all walks of life – if you share our values of Excellence, Adaptability, Strategic Focus and Integrity, please come and join us.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities…
Undertake escorting duties as required to incorporate:
- Escorting all scheduled delivery vehicles from search bays, coordinating the routing and ensuring the safe ingress and egress of vehicles to and from multiple locations on Customer sites A and B.
- Under the instruction (including routing) of Roads and Grounds, escorting of abnormal loads to and from multiple locations on Customer sites A and B.
- Secure handover of delivery vehicle to appropriate Site contact.
- Maintains radio contact at all times with Delivery Coordinators using customer radio communication system
- Reporting of any accident or incident concerning the escorted vehicle to Delivery Coordinators escalating to appropriate services where necessary
- Coordinate all mail handling operations within site, including receiving, sorting, franking and distributing all incoming and internal mail, and despatching all outgoing mail. In addition, ensure collection, receipt and onward delivery of SPF (specials) mail and other couriered items as appropriate (DCS and classified).
- Maintain the records of all classified and SPF mail and ensure necessary documentation is archived for AWE according to the correct procedures.
- Scan/record the delivery/receipt of such goods using CTS PDA system.
- Process the receiving (unloading if forklift trained) and receipting of goods delivered to AWE, ensuring all goods are ready for onward delivery by collation of invoices for forwarding to Site Services.
- Segregation of items requiring PAT testing/certification.
- Forwarding of specific items for AWE to be retained within F68.1.
- Distribution across all sites of incoming packages/parcels/pallets/bottled water to multiple sites
- Delivery and collection of internal parcels, packages, goods and other miscellaneous items to and from multiple site locations.
- Collection of packages/parcels/pallets for off-site distribution.
- Collection and delivery of bioassay samples, air handling samples, calibration equipment and ad-hoc items to and from AWE sites.
- Conduct on site accommodation movements:
- Delivery and collection of packing crates
- Disconnection and re-connection of applicable IT equipment,
- Dismantling and/or relocation/rearrangement of furniture, contents and personal effects
- Delivery, assembly and installation of new office furniture with the use of hand-tools and manual handling aids to meet the requirements of the customer.
- Conference room set up
- Clip kit builds (multiple sites both internal and external)
- Collection of used furniture and other miscellaneous items (white goods) to and from multiple site locations for waste disposal.
- Manage deliveries to unit, receive goods in, check freight against booking in criteria & Level 2 PAS97:2015 specifications, check and sign paperwork, PODs etc., scan barcode, log deliveries manually and on WMS (carrier, consignment details, end recipient/building).
- Unload vehicles using fork truck
- Report discrepancies and unscheduled freight, as appropriate, to manager for escalation to customer
- Ensure goods received are loaded in the appropriate area and barcode scanned to await screening
- Sort and prepare cargo/mail for screening and load items on to conveyor belts of X- ray machines
- Receive returns, label and store ready for collection by carrier and on collection ensure carrier signs for receipt of returns
- Accept and process urgent deliveries according to OSSC acceptance procedure.
- Sort post removing items not to be screened
- Screen cargo and mail on X-ray monitors adhering to Aviation Security regulations
- Complete 6×6 ongoing NXCT training in line with CAA requirements
- Barcode scan clean freight leaving X-ray machine, sort into stillages/cages/pallets to cross docking area and prepare manifests.
- Load on to vehicles manually or using fork lift truck
- Seal vehicle, recording seal number and check driver paperwork is completed correctly.
- Deliver urgent freight to on site delivery point within KPIs, obtain signature from delivery contact.
- Daily DfT vehicle defect checks (via PDAs) and completion of check sheets
- Daily MHE and equipment checks
- Familiarisation/preparation/planning of routes to scheduled collection and delivery sites as determined by the Road Transport Operations department’s route plans/movement plans. For European journeys this will include referring to the FTA European Road Transport Guide to ensure compliancy with country specific driving regulations
- Application of ADR regulations, Aviation Security Regulations, Section 5 regulations,
Security Sensitive assets movement regulations and Customer Specific instructions for example delivery to named person only and necessary escalation if named person not available.
- Adherence to government regulations/legislations (including Working Time Directive and Drivers Hours) with regards to road users.
- Safe and secure vehicle operation (single manned and double manned runs)
- Loading, unloading and securing of freight on vehicle
- Palletising and packing of freight
- Conducting site surveys and reporting back to Road Transport team to assist in movement/project planning
- Carrying out basic ‘plug & play’ on IT moves.
- Maintaining the security of vehicle and loads at all times in line with the document
‘Duties of a CTS Security Driver’.
- Paperwork collation, POD usage and goods verification on collection and delivery
- Escalation of any discrepancies in goods/paperwork to Road Transport team for further instructions
- Escalation of any security breaches/breakdowns/emergencies in line with CTS procedures
- Reporting all incidents/accidents/non-conformances to the Road Transport team immediately they occur and on return to base, via the completion of incident report form.
- Maintaining vehicle cleanliness
- Maintaining a smart, professional appearance by wearing full CTS uniform at all times when representing the Company.
- Adhere to all CTS health and safety policies/procedures and assist in maintaining a safe and clean working environment
- Adhere to all CTS security policies, procedures and protocols
- Adhere to all CTS quality policies and procedures
- At all times actively support the Company values (Excellence, Adaptability, Strategic Focus and Integrity), aims, objectives, policies and procedures
- Undertake any other duties as may be required by Senior Management commensurate with the responsibilities of the job or the requirements of the business
- General office admin; own filing, franking post, purchase orders etc.
- Full clean (manual) driving licence (3.5T, max 3 points, no DD/DR/TT points or disqualifications) held for at least 12 months
- Proven track record in a logistics/distribution and customer facing environment.
- Manual handling capability
- Basic IT skills including basic Microsoft office (particularly excel), keyboard and data input skills, PDA/smart phone and WMS
- Previous experience of working in a procedurally driven environment to SLAs and KPIs
Essential Personal Attributes
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer focused approach and customer facing experience (telephone/in person).
- Team player
- Works well under pressure
- Adaptable and flexible attitude
- Personal alertness and ability to remain focussed on the task
- Attention to detail whilst working at pace
- Proactive, positive, can-do attitude, takes ownership of problems and shows a willingness to quickly adapt to operational change when required
Desirable Qualifications (training will be provided)
- COS (former Level E) Air Cargo Security
- Level 2 PAS 97:2015 standard trained (specification for mail screening & security)
- Dangerous Goods Awareness (categories, labelling, segregation)
- Counterbalance and/or Reach Fork lift truck trained within last 5 years and regular experienced user
- previous experience of working in security screening in particular x ray screening of mail/cargo
- warehouse experience including high value/high consequence goods in/goods out operation
- commercial driving experience
- worked in security environment
- Strong analytical skills and interpersonal skills (excellent telephone manner)
- Experience with Customs handling of Import/Export (Chief) declarations
- Tenacious, and good at multi-tasking; self-motivated and able to use your own initiative
- Ability to work within a team
- Must have a good attention to detail
- IT literate – Experience with Microsoft Excel desirable
- GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) in maths and English
- Willingness to learn and an enthusiasm for taking responsibility for own activity, and wanting to be involved (independently and in teams) in creating results in a busy and ever-changing organisation
- Show passion in delivering high quality work for all our clients and other members of the team
- Ability to organise and prioritise workloads to meet set deadlines
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, be welcoming and customer focused.
- Confident and outgoing personality
- Polite and friendly
- Flexible and adaptable
- Reliable/ punctual
- Team player
UK Government Security Clearance is required for this role. Candidates must hold a minimum 5 years’ UK residency (10 years for client site-based roles).