Road Transport Planner
Your next role is waiting for you
CTS pay competitive salaries and provide generous benefits
£28k to £35k plus benefits
Silchester, Nr. Reading
We have an exciting opportunity for a road haulage planner to join our friendly team. This is a varied and ever-changing specialist road freight operation and you will be planning resources, routing our core fleet across the UK and into Europe.
You will be supporting our customer service team to competitively win jobs with your responsibility being to allocate and optimise resources, plan and evaluate the jobs and minimise empty mileage. This is all done in line with Road Transport Legislation and according to the appropriate ADR Regulations and security protocols.
To be successful, you must be able to work flexibly with other members of the team, be highly organised and make decisions quickly. You must have a proven track record of optimising revenue through sourcing and winning supporting traffic to our primary loads. This is a fantastic opportunity to build on your existing traffic office experience gained in UK and International road haulage or courier.
Being a logistics company, candidates must possess a full driving licence (max 3 points, no DD/DR/TT points or disqualifications). Security clearance is a requirement for this role. Applicants must have 5 years’ UK residency & a 5-year verifiable employment history.
- Manually planning collections and deliveries for CTS’ fleet on our digital (excel) board – vans up to 44T tractor and trailer units taking into account the many variables e.g. cargo compatibility, drivers’ hours, driver qualifications, vehicle requirements and legal compliance
- Board optimisation: directing maximum use of resources and minimal fuel costs through forward planning
- Sourcing and securing complimentary primary and backloads
- Driving towards agreed contractual KPI’s, financial and service goals for CTS
- Ensuring board data is kept accurate and real time.
- Supporting our customer services team in pricing requests and quotes to win profitable Road business
- Leading on three daily board ‘rundowns’ to prioritise workload, interrogate the schedule and identify potential problems before they occur
- Briefing and debriefing drivers – ensuring Driver Hours /WTD and Tacho requirements are met
- Accurate use of company software and systems to ensure efficient operations
- Managing subcontractors
A bit about you
- Minimum 3 years’ domestic and international haulage/courier traffic office experience, preferably SME based
- Extensive Return Load/Backhaul experience
- A good level of mental agility, experience of manual planning/scheduling, good numerical and analytical skills
- Multi-vehicle planning experience – ideally vans up to 44T trucks – must be familiar with payloads/dims/weights
- Good knowledge of drivers hours legislation
- Good route planning skills & strong geographical knowledge (National and International)
- Self-starter able to demonstrate strong commercial acumen
- Awareness of broker outsourcing and subcontracting
- Verbal and written communication: a positive outlook and the ability to build strong relations with team, drivers, logistics partners and clients
- Problem solving: proactive intervention to improve outcomes
- Prioritisation: a systematic, methodical, persistent & thorough approach to work
- Attention to detail – maintains high standards when working under pressure and to varying deadlines
- IT – competent user of, for example, TMS/WMS/vehicle telematics and full Microsoft office suite
- Specialist Logistics (High Consequence DG) knowledge – this is not essential since training will be provided
- Transport Manager CPC / Driver CPC / NVQ Level 2 or equivalent in Traffic Office
- Previous experience working in secure transportation, aerospace, security or defence industries and/or project moves